Thursday, August 14, 2008

Wet Hot American Summer

What a demented movie. I blame Janeane Garofalo. She has a history of making movies of this particular bent of dementia, such as Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. Wet Hot, unlike Romy and MIchelle, was actually funny at times, but it was still in that retarded-funny kind of way. I loved that scene when Garofalo tries to introduce herself to the professor, and he awkwardly hands her the trowel instead of shaking her hand; and I liked seeing Elliot Stabler play the weirdo Vietnam vet chef; and some of the character sketches were good; but the plot and especially the ending were just pointless.

Interesting thing about this movie for me: many years ago I had an uninformed crush on a guy who ended up being the evilest of Republicans (http://www.stanfordreview.org/Archive/Volume_XXXII/Issue_2/Opinions/Opinions1.shtml), and his facebook page used to have Wet Hot as his favorite movie, which was also the source of his favorite quote. Now, the theory about this guy was that he was, like most evil Republicans, a closeted self-loathing homosexual. He had an unhealthy fascination with his roommate, who happened to be none other than mega-assclown Ben Savage (Boy Meets World). Plus, he was totally not interested in me, and what kind of insanity is that??

When I saw how stupid Wet Hot was, I first asked myself, how did this get greenlighted? Who would like this movie? Then I remembered that this Republican dude loved it, and that got me thinking about what sort of appeal it could have. Instantly I knew...

It was the steamy, graphic gay sex scene between Bradley Cooper and Michael Ian Black! Further confirmation of what's going to surface when this guy decides to run for office someday.

On a related note, I just read that Comedy Central is giving Michael Showalter (the writer of Wet Hot) and Michael Ian Black their own show. Pfff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home