Saturday, July 28, 2007

8 1/2

As expected, I didn't get it. I do, however, think I'm starting to get a little more pattern recognition, ie a clearer sense of what Fellini thinks makes an awesome movie. Most easily, I recognize some aspects of Woody Allen, my main conduit to Fellini - the kaleidescopic interest in faces and people strikes me as something that has resonance in Deconstructing Harry, or Celebrity.

Above all, I think Fellini wants me to abandon my expectation for a linear plot. I heard the most interesting thing yesterday from my brother, when he rebuked me for having TOO intelligent a sense of humor! This was in response to my comment that his story or joke wasn't funny because there was no point, or plot, or punchline; he replied that I was missing the point, that that wasn't what stupid, mindless humor was about. Thus -

Fellini is like a stupid joke.

I speak as though I'm jesting, but I think there's something to be said about the suggestion that Fellini movies don't want to tell you anything, they want to show you something. Something beautiful and grotesque and imaginative; "poetic" seems to be most apt.

The great thing about 8 1/2 is that it has a good punch of humor in addiiton to all of the above. The harem scene where a toga-clad, cowboy-hatted Guido whips his women into submission is downright campy, a thing to be treasured. Saraghina is...well, something I would definitely put in if I were a filmmaker, and Gloria, particularly her entrance, is simply breathtaking.

I also like the fact that 8 1/2 is not quite as horrific as La Dolce Vita or Satyricon. It's very uncomfortable and depressing to mix horror and realism in equal small amounts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home