Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Psychology Mastermind or Dunce?

I had my big job interview today, and I haven't the foggiest how it went. Far from gettting any humdinger questions, I barely got asked anything! The interview lasted about an hour and a half, during which I spoke for about ten minutes. And nodded a lot.

Halfway through the interview, I figured that either the manager loves talk - which I can totally understand - or they were trying to sell themselves just as much as I was trying to sell me. In either case, it was best to shut up. With my brilliant mastery of human psychology, I reasoned that if the manager loves to talk, he'd be much more likely to walk away with a positive impression of the meeting if I just gave him hella audience. Then I made sure to throw back some key concepts back to him ("we're something like type 'A-' personalities"), so that when he thinks back to the interview, he'll conflate some of his lines with mine, creating the illusion that I actually spoke more than I did. Ha-ha!

Honestly, though, I don't know what to think. I've been on the other side of the conversation too, during rush, for example, and I know that sometimes you gear yourself up to talk a lot and fill up all the space when you know that you're in for an otherwise painful encounter. If that were the case, I was a dunce for not grabbing the initiative by the horns and forcing him to learn more about me and captivating his slack interest.

I got two questions, which I think I answered competently enough: What is your commitment? and, Why entertainment? Then I got introduced to the director and the manager asked me to recap those two answers. The recap I don't think I aced as well, because I accidently waxed negative about my former occupation. Hm, now that I think of it, maybe my not having a chance to say a lot was the best thing that could have happened for this interview. I, of all people, am familiar with the old principle that the more you say, the more you'll say wrong. I don't think it's quite at "adage" status yet, but it's something my mom likes to remind me of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home