Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Sick Interest

Don't ask me why I did it, because I don't even know, but yesterday I got this morbid fascination with serial killers, particularly Jeff Dahmer. I really wish I could erase that information from my head, because I hate gore and violence and horror almost as much as I hate hairy-legged, compound-eyed insects. Okay, I admit I could never hate anything as much as insects...my true, irrational phobia.

Anyways, a lot of the Dahmer stuff of the early 90s was new to me because I was, thankfully, shielded from that mess when it went down. Full-time necrophiliac, part-time cannibal. Eegh. But what really got me mad was the story of one of his victims, a 14-year-old Asian kid named Konerak Sinthasomphone. Look it up, it's infuriating. Sinthasomphone was one of the lucky victims who managed to escape between the time Dahmer drugged him and was about to kill him. Two black women found him wandering the streets, naked and injured, so they took him to the police. He didn't know much English, plus he was drugged, and plus his advocates were black, so the police totally didn't question Dahmer's story when he came in to claim the boy, saying that he was his 19-year-old boyfriend who got drunk, and they got in a fight. Against the protests of all the people of color involved, including the victim, the police drove Sinthasomphone back to the killer's apartment, where he was promptly strangled as soon as the police left.

If the police hadn't been so racist and homophobic, they would have found any one of these things to be extremely suspicious:
- that the boy was a minor
- that Dahmer was a registered sex offender
- that there was a bad smell in the apartment, and a dead body (victim #12) in the bedroom
- that there were photographs of other dismembered bodies all around the apartment
- that there were body parts in the refrigerator, acid vats, and formaldehyde jars, and skulls lying around

And now I come to the worst part of the story: the cops who delivered this poor kid straight into the hands of his killer are totally thriving now! They initially lost their jobs for their misconduct, but they appealed the firing, got REINSTATED WITH BACKPAY, and were voted OFFICERS OF THE YEAR by the union for fighting for their jobs. One of the cops, John Balcerzak, was elected PRESIDENT OF THE MILWAUKEE POLICE ASSOCIATION in 2005, got criticized for incompetence/injustice, put to a recall in a 2006 election ballet, and beat back the recall by a 209 to 397 vote. It's like he's being rewarded for his assholism with more publicity.

As for the family of the victim, the last news story I found reported that they were likely to settle out of court their case against the police department's racism and homophobia (and I think they should've added to that, reckless incompetence). The sum of the settlement looks like it was $850K.

Talk about fucking injustice. No wonder everyone in the world is angry.

I really, really wish I could give back that information I put into my head. I'm so disturbed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home