Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Kids These Days, with Their Shoes and Their Pants and Their Rock and Roll Music

Somehow the theme of last night's dinner party. My colleague said she was once on a dig with a guy who used to say it all the time. Apparently he sincerely was hostile about the shoes, because Gary S(?) was so cheap that he wore shoes with holes in them and didn't want to replace them. Then one day the group took a trip to Naxos, a volcanic island whose crater still emits a lot of hot sulfuric gas. The ground was hot enough that day to weld the rubber around the holes in Gary's shoes and I guess from that day forward he didn't have to be so bitter about kids today.

There was something else about last night's dinner party that I thought I should write about - no doubt because I was annoyed - but now I can't remember what it was. I just know there is a nerd I can't stand who was present.

I just remembered what it was. It actually wasn't a story about me being annoyed, it was a stupid old joke that I was thrilled to have a chance to tell.

"I'll be cooking the main dish. Did you all decide among yourselves what you're bringing?"
Nods.
"I'll also have about a liter and a half of wine."
"That's nice, but what will the rest of you all be drinking?"

Hee hee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home