Monday, December 04, 2006

Neville Chamberlain

I accidentally talked some trash about the British, unaware that I was in the presence of one, this weekend.

"I expect about a 70% participation rate from my friends."
"You're a stern mistress."
"Well...a 70 is a C, and that's average."
"Not in England. In England 70 is a really high mark."
"Yeah, and that's why we had to bail them out of WWII, isn't it?"

I stand by my claim. How can they deny mediocrity? Chamberlain! Appeasement! Admittedly it's better than the French's capitulation, but nevertheless...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I highly disagree. I think the British are tough graders. Having been in both the US and UK systems of education, I can see why they set 74% as the highest grade. A passing grade is usually something like 30% or 40%. This isn't to say that you only had to get 30% of the questions on a test right, though. The idea is that each question can be answered to various levels of proficiency. To gain full points (e.g. 8 out of 8), you had to produce an idea answer, often with an example, and sometimes state exceptions. If you gave just an outline of the right theory, you may only get 2 or 3 points out of that 8. Hence, merely understanding theory will get you a passing grade on the test, but, yes, it is truly difficult to spit out a technical, concise, and accurate answer for full credit. At least, this was my experience in the sciences.

9:38 PM, December 04, 2006  
Blogger Rex said...

Three words: Neville Fucking Chamberlain.

11:44 AM, December 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Churchill, though?!?

5:11 PM, December 06, 2006  
Blogger Rex said...

FDR's lapdog. USA! USA!

7:22 PM, December 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha Jenny I love you!
Shelly

8:19 AM, December 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home