Friday, September 15, 2006

Oh Holy Fuck

The dreaded Latin exam (take 1) is done. And then I got fucked up. It's an office tradition to have a shot of old Prof. Shackleton-Bailey's Mattingly and Moore (called "mild and mellow" but really just another name for paint remover) after a major exam, prelim, defense, etc.

Lucan, Ovid, Cicero, and Seneca the Younger. The Lucan and the Seneca are totally out of left field, the items on the reading list we pray won't show up on the test. Cicero is a fair choice, but only if it's something obvious like the orations, instead of his philosophy like De Natura Deorum, which would be confusing even in English. Ovid was the only one I vaguely knew, from like a year and a half ago. It was one of the filthier passages about how the speaker rapes a woman, but it's all good because she enjoys it; brought a blush to my face as I was translating.

I think I nailed the Ovid, the Cicero was asi asi, and the Lucan and Seneca a shot in the dark. I have a chance of passing only if everyone else and their mothers also botched those passages.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh baby, you know you did fine. Or something :) i'm back now, despite a horrendous journey, and you can call me, anytime. -HDG

7:39 AM, September 17, 2006  
Blogger Rex said...

Ha! Or something.

8:36 AM, September 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home