Friday, July 21, 2006

Should I be offended?

On the one hand, it would be a double-standard if I took offense; plus whatever Butterfly might say (drunk), she did stand loyally by as my wingwoman, even going to an all-Asian club, so that I could get to know my prospect better. On the other hand, there are some things you don't say out loud.

"I hope you had an okay time with Tim?"
"Yeah I had a really good time."
"Really? So, is this someone you'd call again?"
"Mm...I'd probably call him the next time they have one of these mixers, just as a friend. But I definitely wouldn't call him to go out on a date. I mean, you know me and men."
...?
'I'm PICKY. He has to be tall and good-looking and smart and athletic and successful, and black or white and nothing in between..."
[Didn't you say your last boyfriend had love-handles?]
"...and I'm sorry, I'm just not attracted to Asian boys."
"Uh huh."
"You know me and my family -" [actually I didn't] "if I brought home a white guy my family would be perfectly fine. If I brought home a black guy they would think, okay, that's weird, but I guess I understand. If I brought home an Asian guy, they'd say, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?"
"Um, don't you think that's, uh, inconsistent?"
"Well, black and white people understand each other. White people and everyone else have a big cultural gap, but whites and blacks share a common struggle."
"Yeah, but...all the struggling was on the black side, if you excuse my bluntness."
[The conversation then turned into an exigesis on Butterfly's Native American heritage.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home