Sunday, May 28, 2006

Legends of the Fall

This is one of those movies that I've always known I must be missing something about it. The first time I saw it (in an airplane) I thought it was awful, but then I think I rented it again anyway because somehow I suspected it surely must be better than that. It got a little better the second time, but still I had a hunch that I didn't quite "get" it. So long story short, ever since the beginning, whenever I saw this movie playing on tv, I would always have to sit through and watch it again.

The funny thing is, it does continue to get slightly better with each viewing (I must be on 5 or 6 by now). The first time I think I was perplexed because the plot is so sprawling - well, that and I was on a plane - and I mistakenly thought it was a story about Susanna (Julia Ormond). Thus, I objected that the story was not at all romantic. I don't remember when and how the rest of the meaning unfolded to me, but here are some of my interpretations now (subject to change every time I see this movie again):

- It's basically a story about familial love and the unbreakable elegance of the American spirit.
- The story centers on Tristan (Brad Pitt), which is a bit of a paradox because he's totally opaque (hence my initial dismissal).
- Tristan is coherent if you understand him as a Byronic hero. However, this can only make sense only insofar as you believe that Brad Pitt is ridiculously good-looking. Although I see now that this is the case, it should by no means be considered obvious. The movie's main incoherence stems from the fact that it makes this assumption; why does everyone put up with his ish? you end up wondering.
- It's possible to appreciate the tragedy of loving a Byronic hero (Susanna's story, the "romance" part) only if you've ever experienced the 100% randomness and unfairness that is the male mind when it comes to relationships.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home