Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Godfather, Part 3

I caught the last hour of this movie playing on tv. I can't quite understand why this one is considered to be in a class by itself among the Godfathers; I thought it was just as boring and pointless as the other two "masterpieces." Seriously, I mean: I can't tell ONE thing about the third Godfather that was done any differently! The visual palette (perhaps the only plus), the lack of any understandable motivation behind the plot development, the way the slow-ass dialogue leaves everything important unsaid, the indistinguishability among the characters ("Hey, who's that old Italian dude? Isn't he the same old Italian dude who died in the last scene?"), the perfect opacity as to where our sympathies belong, and oh did I mention that all three Godfathers are BORING AS HELL?

This may haunt me for the rest of my life. I foresee that I will continue to watch and re-watch the Godfathers whenever I have a chance, hoping to catch what everyone else is raving about, only to conclude that they are in fact boring as hell, and pointless. I guess this was one of the "glitches" I was born with. Some people can't curl their tongues, I don't get the Godfathers.

Oh wait...

I caught one little plot detail that made the third Godfather decidedly worse, which was all that junk about the Vatican. I mean, come one. Let's get real. On the other hand, the Vatican story background allowed the setting to take in Italy and Sicily, which is more romantic than New York or Lake Tahoe. So, down a notch, up a notch.

The one thing about the third Godfather that was as painful as an aenema was Sophia Coppola. I knew for a while that she was a suck-ass writer/director, but it wasn't so clear to me that she has a huge nose and no chin. It's as if she fell asleep upside-down one night, and her chin melted away and accumulated in her nose.

One more thing: that whole deal about cousins wanting to marry each other and Michael objecting. Is it just me, or should that be a total non-issue?? To me, it was ridiculous that the movie wasted so drama debating the pros and cons, and making that the central conflict.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bob Dively said...

I look at the first two Godfathers as a sort of alternative American creation myth. The third one just stinks.

7:09 AM, May 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No!

11:42 AM, May 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home