Monday, July 25, 2005

Vacation with the 'rents

I'm at Maui right now, the most beautiful of the beautiful Hawaiian islands. Truly a paradise; and yet, I must vent. I'll try to make it quick since I'm paying for this bit of internet.

Perhaps it's because I'm still pissed at the ideology of having a midnight curfew, but vactioning with my parents is becoming well-nigh unbearable. I thought I'd be able to drown it all out, but it's proving more difficult than I imagined.

I'm having one of those moments when a grown-up child has to realize that his/her parents might not be all that and a bag of chips, or at least all that they used to be. Several times today I was assaulted by the thought that my parents must have adult ADD, or a slight onset of early senility, because they never seem to listen the first time and demand that the same information be repeated over and over again. It's a subtle thing: sometimes it's hard to distinguish it from their habitual stubbornness, chauvinism, or rudeness - in short, their total conviction that they are always right and everyone else is always wrong - that made them such strong people when I was growing up. But then it occurred to me with horror: is this the beginning of them becoming Old People? Everyone knows that Old People are difficult and unreasonable.

By the way, we went to Hana today.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wot??? You're in Hawaii?? You didn't tell me you were going there!!!!

6:34 AM, July 26, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you have Internet access?

9:12 AM, July 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay! just have as much fun as you can!! remember when you missed your parents so much during the school year? anyway, i pseudo-updated, so feel free to check it out...

9:41 AM, July 27, 2005  
Blogger Rex said...

If I had had my own computer, I would have been able to get free wireless in the hotel room (future Maui-goers take note). Since I didn't, I went to an internet cafe, much like the kind they have in Europe.

5:21 PM, July 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home