Friday, July 08, 2005

La Dolce Vita, Again

"One should live outside of passions, beyond emotions, in that harmony you find in completed art works, in that enchanted order. We should learn to love each other so much to live outside of time, detached... Detached."

This quote struck me because it was the third time, in a relatively short space of time, that the universe repeated that same message to me. I thought maybe the universe was trying to tell me something, until I concluded that the message itself is actually rather trivial. It's a cool thought, that's all.

(It may also be worth noting that there's something quite Girardian about the idea, which might explain why it arrested me in the first place.)

"I came to recognise that, apart from her own kinsfolk, the sufferings of humanity inspired in her a pity which increased in direct ratio to the distance separating the sufferers from herself. The tears that flowed from her in torrents when she read in a newspaper of the misfortunes of persons unknown to her were quickly stemmed once she had been able to form a more precise mental picture of the victims." - Swann's Way

"I have never been able to understand how it is possible to love one's neighbor. In my opinion the people it is impossible to love are precisely the ones near to one, while one can really love only those who are far away." - Ivan Fyodorovich, The Brothers Karamazov.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home