Saturday, April 30, 2005

Closer

I can't decide how I feel about this movie. On the one hand, it was boring; on the other hand, it wasn't uninteresting. That is, it was kind of riveting, but ultimately a who-gives-a-crap experience. I guess what I'm saying is that I liked the smut.

How is it that I was ever an English major, when I have such a base level of literary appreciation?

Conversely, we can ask, why do works with any pretention toward "high" art feel compelled to be so smutty? It stopped being cutting-edge since at least the seventies.

I'm starting to formulate a list of movie maxims, and so far it consists of, "Nicole Kidman makes stinky movies." Number 2 might well be "Natalie Portman makes pretentious movies and plays annoying characters," though I'll withhold conclusions until I gather more evidence. I will say this much for Portman: her closing scene in "Closer" was dynamite.

Jude Law's character got on my last nerves. He did it to himself.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But she´s reallllllllllllly hot (NP that is!! NK is not sooooo... mmmmh).

9:56 AM, May 01, 2005  
Blogger Rex said...

Yeah, but you like annoying girls :-p

1:50 PM, May 01, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It´s more that she´s hot, though... I´m not wild about her otherwise. And next to Julia Roberts, most people would be hot. Sorry, but Julia just looks like a martian or something.

5:15 AM, May 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home