Saturday, April 30, 2005

California Is Like a Beautiful Rainbow of Diversity!

It's weird, though, how diversity always looks a lot like homogeneity. I had forgotten how it is, being away from LA for so long. Now it's coming back to me. My racially cliquey high school. Last night's club where everyone dressed like they were Interpol. Tonight's dive bar where everyone thought they were Bettie Page. Beautiful things, all (or some) of them, and so eccentric and interesting - but really, I've had it up to my eyeballs with "scenes." Gawd!

But would I trade in all this pseudo-homogeneity?...for what, real homogeneity? Hardly. And it's a good thing I won't have to. It was touch and go there for a while, but I think I made the right choice. The only beast I'll have to tackle next year is the one I've just described...in exacerbated form, of course, as everything is in LA. Everyone wants to be somebody in a city that showy.

But anyways, back to tonight. My distaste for the rockabilly scene was so great that it almost killed my fledgling love for the music. I left even before the band I came to see went on, because I couldn't take it anymore. I did, however, buy a cd. I was relieved to find that after all that HELL - tired as a motherfucker at the end of a long day, sitting in a dive bar chair so rancid I'm half-sure it gave me gonorrhea, all while drowning in an avalanche of poseurs - I was relieved to find that I still loved the band as much as I did before. Indeed, I was not crazy for seeing something special about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home