Friday, May 11, 2012

My Best Friend

I lost my best friend today. Cosmo Kramer was a little guy with a big heart. He was so resigned, and so trusting, when he snuggled into my lap and took his last breath (and drooled his last drool) in my arms. I betrayed him. I hope he understands I wanted to spare him the pain. I hope he wasn't afraid of the darkness.

Tomorrow will be a new day that Kramer won't see. Tonight I still wear the jacket that held him as he expired. I don't want to change. I don't want to shower. I don't want to go to sleep. As long as I stay in today, I exist in a space that I shared with that special guy for whom I was the whole world.

I'll never love another dog again.  I don't have the strength to give my heart away, and have it abandoned again so soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home