Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Frank Furter and the Hot Dogs

If this rock n roll group still exists, or if they were any good, I would dig them a lot. Pun, sexual innuendo, and the early sixties doo-wop vibe that drips with teenage romance and rebellion - what more could you want? I guess a teeny bit of dumbness; but Frank has that as well.

If you've ever seen my facebook profile, you'll notice that my interests are as follows: surfing, online shopping, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Andrew WK, Cheap Trick, androgynous men, and NPR.

Cheap Trick is a temporary thing. It will rotate with other hobbies, such as Luke Perry in 1992's Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie, or ballet, or the OC, or whatever else. NPR is relatively new. Anyways, I warn you now because I suspect much of my blog material will be drawn from these sources.

For example, I had a dream the other night that I was married to Andrew WK. Now, I may be obsessed with the man, true; but believe me when I say that I was surprised to have that dream. I love Andrew WK for his high energy and positive attitude, not for his sexiness or anything. It never would have occurred to me to have fantasies about him. Does one fantasize about Kermit the Frog? No.

Nevertheless, the dream put an interesting spin on everything. When I woke up, I felt compelled to read his journal on andrewwk.com...and guess what? I found one of the answers I was looking for:

"The way it works is clear: love is love - and love will remain love despite loss and hardship - love will remain love when a person is born - love remains love at the moment of death and until the end of time - love remains love even in the lowest moment and the highest euphoria - love remains love through and through - regardless."

Wow! The dude's a wise man. I needed to be reminded about all that, because I was phasing into this anger and bafflement at myself for being in love with a monster in such senseless and pathetic circumstances as only a crazy person would endure. Not that I've ruled out the possibility of being mentally ill; in fact, I just made an appointment to see a therapist next week. Anyways, the point is that Andrew WK's post gave me hope that maybe it was hubristic of me to try to stop feeling the way I was feeling. Maybe it's not my fault, and maybe even it has nothing to do with me, like cosmically.

The most interesting thing that came out of this, though, is that my non-sexual crush on Andrew WK has kind of become a sexual crush.

I'm falling asleep, so I'll add one more thing before I sign out. This is actually the real reason I needed to sign up for a blog, because it fucking annoyed me. I was listening last week to a program on NPR about the prospect of negotiations between Israel and Palestine. Good program, NPR, but populated with the kind of nerds that can only be described by means of antonym: savvy. The commentator said that Abbas was being a real cool player, that he was getting in touch with his inner "Gonzo" - of course, he meant to say Fonzie, otherwise it would make no sense. Since when was GONZO the posterboy for cool?! He's a muppet! And then the commentator kind of liked his analogy, because he kept on using it over and over and OVER again. I just about lost it. I screamed at my radio, and threatened violence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home